Opening– The goal of these lessons and this course is to help us develop a stronger prayer life. We have chosen E.M. Bounds book, The Necessity of Prayer and Andrew Murray’s book With Christ in the School of Prayer to help increase our faith and add power to our prayer life. Over the next nine weeks we have all committed to reading one chapter a day, answering the reflection questions at the end of each lesson and spending time with the Lord in prayer.
We will meet as a class weekly to discuss our readings and prayer needs. The class leader will facilitate discussion about the week’s reading as we go over the reflection questions before reciting the weekly memory verse.
Introductions- Each recruit should be prepared to tell the class a little bit about themselves.
- How long have you been a Christian? ________________________________________________
- Were you raised in Church? ______________________________________________________
- Who is your favorite Bible character? _______________________________________________
Take a few minutes to answer these questions. (The class leader will ask these questions and recruits can answer out loud if they choose. These are personal questions for each student to contemplate.)
- How often do you pray each day? __________________________________________________
- Do you have a quiet time alone with God each day? _____________________________________
- How many times did you pray for the lost last week? ____________________________________
- How often do you pray for laborers for the harvest? ____________________________________
- Have you ever read through the Bible? _______________________________________________
- How much of your prayer time is spent on praying for other’s needs? (circle one) 10% – 20% – 30%- 40%- 50%- 60%- 70%- 80%- 90%- 100%
- How much of your prayer time is spent praying for your personal requests? (circle one) 10% – 20% – 30%- 40%- 50%- 60%- 70%- 80%- 90%- 100%?
- Do you ask God to deliver you from the evil one each day? _______________________________
- How often are your prayers answered? (circle one) 10% – 20% – 30%- 40%- 50%- 60%- 70%- 80%- 90%- 100%?
- Do you ask for specific or general requests? ___________________________________________
- What is your biggest prayer that has been answered? ____________________________________
- What is the last prayer you had answered? ____________________________________________
- What do you hope to learn from this class? ____________________________________________
Next Class 1 Preview–
Theme – Prayer is Faith in God
Verse– Therefore I say unto you, what things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. -Mark 11:24
Prayer for Recruits–
- Time to Pray Each Day
- A Desire for Prayer
- A Clear Mind During Prayer
Prayer Warrior Bootcamp- Leader’s Guide
Top Priority – Nothing is more important than you as a leader taking time to pray. God may be pleased when we write about prayer, teach about prayer and talk about prayer, but He is moved to action only when we pray! The most important thing that will bring His presence into your class and allow you and your recruits to strengthen your prayer lives is prayer. As the leader, you will need to commit to praying for this class. Pray daily for God to help you as you lead, pray for you and your recruits to have the desire and time to pray and do the daily reading, pray that all obtain wisdom and understanding, pray that they would be kept from temptation, pray for the class requests…pray fervently, pray earnestly and pray often! This class is designed to teach Christians how to be powerful prayer warriors who move God to action. Your efforts in leading this class have the capacity to revolutionize your church and community for Christ! In 2nd Chronicles 16:9 it says, “For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.” Praying Christians have hearts that are perfect toward Him, so pray that your class will produce perfect hearts that pray! In Psalms 34:15 the psalmist writes, “The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.” Then in James 5:16 it says, “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” Praying Christians will be righteous Christians and God WILL hear their prayers. Make sure your top priority is praying for this class. Before teaching, before planning and even before studying must come prayer.
Overall responsibilities – As the leader, begin praying about who should be in this class several weeks before it starts. It will also be helpful if you can quickly read The Necessity of Prayer by E.M. Bounds and With Christ in the School of Prayer by Andrew Murray. It is also recommended that you stay a week ahead of your recruits on the daily readings. If you are a week ahead of the recruits, you should only need about 30 minutes to prepare for leading each session. You should also spend time praying for each session as you prepare for it. Keep track of any prayer requests recruits may have and continue to remember them in prayer each week in class. (Keep in mind this is just a guide, feel free to add to or skip discussion of key points and illustrations as the Spirit leads you.)
Class Activity – An optional social that we suggest is to invite all recruits and their families to your house or the church to watch the movie War Room. A dinner or even light refreshments and popcorn is a great way to have everyone get to know each other better. This activity can be done at the beginning before classes begin to gain interest in the study.
Focus – The focus of this first class is to get to know each of the recruits and learn more about where they are in their prayer life.
- Open the class in prayer.
- Stress the importance of doing one lesson each day.
- Get a commitment from each recruit that they will make doing these lessons and praying each day a priority.
- Obtain a cell phone number and email address from all recruits (This will be used to keep them updated on class meetings as well as offer them encouraging messages.)
- Have each recruit introduce themselves and answer the first four questions.
- Lead in the sharing of the answers to the last 13 questions.
- Give a quick overview of The Necessity of Prayer by EM Bounds and With Christ in the School of Prayer by Andrew Murray as well as preview class 1.
- Start a list of class prayer requests with each recruit providing one thing they need answered.
- Close with a time in prayer asking God to grant each person the desire and time to do a daily Bible reading and prayer time each day. Also pray for any other requests anyone may have.
Click here to go to class outline
To purchase a copy of Prayer Warrior Bootcamp click here.
Prayer Warrior Bootcamp has been published on this blog and is in the public domain. Any part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, or other electronic or mechanical methods. Copies of Prayer Warrior Bootcamp and be purchased at Amazon by clicking here and special discounts are available on quantity purchases by churches, associations or individuals at the following prices.
- 1-5 copies – the individual price
- 6-12 copies – $9.00 each
- 13-24 copies – $8.00 each
- 24+ copies – $7.00 each
Send a comment or email RodJetton at gmail dot com if you need multiple quantities.